Remote – Freelance
Varying levels of experience
Who we are
Phil creates fundraising and communication strategies and tools specifically for socially-missioned organisations and businesses. We offer strategy, fundraising, branding, information technology and social media marketing services.
We’re a small and talented team with one thing in common: our clients are our heroes. Every member of our team was drawn to working with us because of our commitment and shared values that align with being a B Corp. We truly believe that businesses can be a force for good.
Whom we’re looking for
As a busy full-service agency, we often have requests for work that go beyond our internal resource capacity and we are looking for copywriters of varying skill levels to support the production team.
We are growing our content department and would like to build a strong network of reliable freelance copywriters, as part of our collaborator team, who are just as passionate about communications as the social sector. Collaborators will report to our Communications Director, Account Director or Creative Director, depending on the project. They will work to increase the overall quality of the content team, keeping the balance between creativity and the overall needs of our not-for-profit clients. Individuals should be comfortable tackling high pressure situations and tight deadlines.
As a copywriter, you could be tasked with:
- Copywriting projects to support communications initiatives and campaigns, including donor letters, web copy, annual reports, awareness campaigns, blog posts, social media posts, newsletter articles and other internal documents.
- Researching appropriate terms, stay up to date on social sector language, and offer client’s suggestions to improve the content where needed, project dependant.
- Meeting with team members to determine requirements and vision for copywriting, which may include multiple strategy meetings depending on the project size.
- Creating multiple revisions and send them through approvals.
Reviewing finalised materials to be sure there are no errors.
As a member of our collaborators team, you will be :
- Ensuring projects are completed at a high quality and on schedule.
- Aligning with Phil’s creative direction through the use of Phil’s collaborator guidelines and templates.
- Managing multiple projects each with their own specifications and budgetary restrictions.
- Participating in team workshops to better understand our client’s context, contributing to Phil’s impact initiatives and attending occasional social and team-building events.
What will help you be successful:
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in communications, journalism, English language arts, or other related fields, preferably in an agency or multi-brand environment.
- Good proficiency in research, analysis, and synthesis of complex information.
- A basic understanding of the typical production process, from project brief to final piece.
- An open mind and willingness to learn from your teammates.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in communications, journalism, English language arts, or other related fields, preferably in an agency or multi-brand environment.
- High proficiency in research, analysis, and synthesis of complex information.
- A solid understanding of the typical production process, from project brief to final piece.
- Autonomy and accountability; you’re someone who can be depended on.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in communications, journalism, English language arts, or other related fields, preferably in an agency or multi-brand environment.
- Excellent proficiency in research, analysis, and synthesis of complex information.
- A deep understanding of the typical production process, from project brief to final piece.
- Autonomy and leadership; you can take a project from start to finish with speed and efficiency.
What do ideal copywriters have in common?
- Most importantly, they share our mission and values and have team spirit with a genuine desire to help others
- Close familiarity with Québec culture and the local social sector
- Fluent in English; speaking and writing at an exceptional level.
- Attention to detail and a desire to put out the best quality possible given the constraints (time, budget, etc.).
- A desire to work in a small organization where people and projects move quickly.
- The ability to deal with sudden, emergent requests calmly and efficiently (we try to keep these to a minimum!).
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively with other team members
- Digital literacy to navigate different types of software and technology used at Phil.
- The ability to work remotely; having access to a laptop and a reliable internet connection, as we are a fully remote company.
- Knowledge of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals and other related social and environmental justice concepts.
- Experience with not-for-profits, charities, foundations, and/or socially-missioned businesses.
The payment range is between $18 and $65 CAD an hour, depending on experience and skill level.
Whenever possible, you will be part of scoping the potential projects to ensure you have a good understanding of the work involved and to make sure you will be paid fairly for your time. We work on a flat fee basis per project based on your hourly rate. Should there be a change in scope, we will re-evaluate the additional work together, agree on a revised price and you will be expected to complete the work accordingly.
Diversity and Inclusion
Phil values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages all people of colour, Indigenous peoples, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, people with diverse abilities, and members of culturally underrepresented populations to apply. We are committed to providing equal opportunities; applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, nor citizenship status.
We are committed to equitable participation in the recruitment experience. We strongly encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
Ready to apply?
For this role, we are only hiring people legally allowed to work in Canada according to Canadian legislation and regulations.
Please send an email to [email protected] including your cover letter and resume. The cover letter must describe why you’d like to work as a collaborator at Phil.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.